What is the Hong Kong British National (Overseas) visa?

The UK Government introduced the Hong Kong British National (Overseas) (BN(O)) visa route to allow BN(O) status holders and certain family members to live, work, and study in the UK. This followed the imposition by the Chinese Government of a national security law on Hong Kong, in breach of the Sino-British Joint Declaration, which restricts
the rights and freedoms of the people of Hong Kong.

    Further Information and FAQs

    • What is the meaning of ‘ordinarily resident’?

      You are ‘ordinarily resident’ in a country if your residence is for settled purposes with a sufficient degree of continuity as part of the regular order of your life for the time being, whether for a long or short duration. You can be ‘ordinarily resident’ in more than one country at once. Several factors which may be considered to determine whether you are ‘ordinarily resident’ in a country include:

      • Whether your stay is one of several regular and significant stays
      • Does your housing situation appear stable
      • Are you paying utility bills and council tax at your address
      • Are you employed, self-employed, a recognised job-seeker or a student
      • Do any close family also live in the same country
      • Is there evidence of activity in another county that suggests residence in a different country (for example, sale or letting of a property in another country, shipping of belongings or transfer of assets to a different country)

    • Do you need to satisfy a tuberculosis requirement for a BN(O) Status Holder visa?

      If you are applying for entry clearance as a BN(O) Status Holder, you must normally provide a valid medical certificate confirming that you have undergone screening for active pulmonary tuberculosis and that this tuberculosis is not present in you (subject to your country of residence). You may also need to meet this requirement in some instances for permission to stay in the UK.

    • Can you bring family members with you to the UK with a BN(O) Status Holder visa?

      You can bring your partner, children and grandchildren aged under 18 to the UK. Your partner if granted permission as the partner of a BN(O) Status Holder can also bring their children and grandchildren to the UK if aged under 18 subject to meeting all of the eligibility requirements.

      In certain circumstances, other family members aged 18 years or over with a high degree of dependency may also apply under this route as a BN(O) Adult Dependant Relative such as a parent, grandparent, brother, sister, son or daughter of either yourself or your partner if granted permission as the partner of a BN(O) Status Holder.

      Eligible family members of an individual who holds both BN(O) status and British citizenship can apply on the BN(O) route.

    • Can you work in the UK with a BN(O) Status Holder visa?

      Yes, you can take any kind of employment or self-employment in the UK. The work can be full-time or part-time, paid or unpaid, does not have to be with a licensed sponsor, and you do not need any additional permission or endorsement from the Home Office to work once you have been granted permission. You cannot, however, be employed as a professional sportsperson or sports coach.

    • How long will the BN(O) Status Holder visa be valid for?

      You can apply for the visa for either a 5 or 2.5 year period. You can extend your visa once you’re in the UK if you want to stay longer for as many times as you want.

      The Home Office can add up to 28 days of existing permission under the BN(O) route onto your further permission to stay in the UK where you have applied for a 2.5 year visa.  This will assist you in completing the 5-year qualifying period required for settlement, without having to make a further temporary permission application.

    • Can you apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) as a BN(O) Status Holder?

      Yes, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK after having spent a continuous period of 5 years with permission in the UK on a route under which you can settle, of which the most recent grant of permission must have been on the Hong Kong BN(O) route.

Why Viaje

Why use VIAJE for BN(O) Status Holder visa matters?

Extensive experience in making successful BN(O) Status Holder visa applications

It’s all taken care of: we provide expert legal advice specific to your matter

Cost effective service with upfront fixed fees so that you know what to expect

Being able to contact your lawyer out of traditional office hours, assisting clients globally

Unwavering commitment to delivering excellent client care

Meticulous preparation of all supporting documentation to expedite the approval process

Whether you’re seeking a BN(O) Status Holder visa for England or Scotland,
we’re here to help

Send us an enquiry and we will be in contact with you shortly

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.